- Course Details
- Career Opportunities
- Dept. Best Practices
- DETAILS OF PATENTS FILED
- LABORATORY FACILITIES
DEPARTMENT OF ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION
The four years UG program Robotics and Automation (RA) was started in the academic year 2021-22 with an intake of 60. This multidisciplinary program addresses the demands of various industries and is delivered by a proficient and dedicated faculty. The curriculum seamlessly integrates Mechanical, Computer Science, and Electronics courses, enriched by hands-on experience in well-equipped modern laboratories. Robotics and Automation, an emerging and rapidly expanding field, centers on designing, implementing, and deploying robots and automated systems for tasks traditionally performed by humans. This domain spans diverse sectors including manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, space exploration, entertainment, and beyond.
About the Course
The core robotics and automation subjects focus on robotic design, control systems, sensors, programming, artificial intelligence, and human-robot interaction. The program combines principles from computer science engineering, electronics and communications engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and artificial intelligence to equip students with the knowledge and skills needed to design, develop, and implement robotic systems and automated technologies. Robotics and Automation branch not only enriches the students with core functional competencies such as expertise in technologies and tools required for robotics and automation but also arms students with comprehensive complementary skills including but not limited to data-driven approach, critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, agility, self-driven, multi-disciplinary knowledge, and other soft skills. Our elite program prepares students not only for excellence in the core field of Robotics and Automation but also prepares students as value creators and meaningful contributors to business functions focusing on maximizing business success and excellence.
|Course Duration:||4 years (Regular) | 3 years (Lateral Entry)|
|No. of Semesters:||8 (Regular) | 6 (Lateral Entry)|
|No. of Seats:||60|
|Eligibility:||10+2 System of Education. Must have secured a pass in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in the qualifying examination with 45% marks in aggregate.|
|Scope for Higher Studies:||M.E. | M. Tech | M.B.A. | M.S.|
- Data Structures
- Robot Operating Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Learning
- Machine learning
- Python Programming
- Embedded Systems
- Control Systems and Instrumentation
- Microcontrollers and PLCs
- Virtual Instrumentation
- Analog & Digital Circuits
- Robot Design & Simulation
- Theory of machines
- Material Science and Manufacturing
- Machine Drawing and GD&T
- Mechanics of Materials
The Robotics and Automation program, embracing a multidisciplinary approach, encompasses a range of pivotal courses and state-of-the-art laboratories. This combination creates an unparalleled learning journey that aligns with industrial prerequisites, enhancing prospects for both placement and research opportunities.
Computer Science and Engineering Relevant Subjects
Electronics Engineering Relevant Subjects
Mechanical Engineering Relevant Subjects
Since this course covers the fundamentals of three major disciplines (CSE, ME, and ECE), RA students in general can switch to any of the three domain choices in their career – Software, Electronics, and Mechanical depending on their inclination.
- Robotics Programmer
- Automation Programmer
- AI Engineer
- ML Engineer
- Robot Designer
- Automation Engineer
- Robotics Engineer
- Drones Engineer
- CNC Designer
- ROS Engineer
Department Best Practices
- Implementation of Mentor-Mentee concept: Enables focus on individual students, increasing the scope of giving guidance, counselling and monitoring for better improvement of every student.
- Enhancement of Programming Language skills: The department organizes various workshops on emerging technologies amongst students for better career prospects and the development of technical skills in the students.
- Peer to Peer Learning: The students participate in mock interviews and group discussions to give them a sense of confidence and groom them towards professionalism.
- Activity-based Learning: The best teaching practice-formative assessment, and assignment design to foster student engagement and ownership.
- Placement Oriented Training: Campus recruitment training is given to the students from II year onwards to cater for the needs of students for placements.
- Organizing Workshops and Guest Lectures:Reputed persons from the software industry and academicians are invited to the campus to give expert talks on emerging technologies.
- Faculty Development Programmes (STTPs): The department organizes STTPs and also deputes the faculty members to other organizations to enhance their knowledge with advanced technologies.
- Research-Oriented Promotions: Research and Development (R&D) cell play a critical role in the process of innovation.
- Patent and Paper: Department often foster collaboration among faculty, students, researchers, encouraging interdisciplinary work that could lead to innovative ideas worthy of patents or research papers.
- Incubation Cell: With the support of the Incubation cell, our students will be encouraged to do Live Projects offered by college or industry.
- Internships: Internship is a system of on-the-job training provided for our students in a real-time environment of the IT Industry. Internships provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field and determine if they have an interest in a particular career.
ROBODK : Dept. of Mechanical Engineering organized a demonstration session on 'RoboDK Simulation Software'
RoboDK is an offline programming and simulation software for industrial robots. The simulation software can be used for many manufacturing projects including milling, welding, pick and place, packaging and labelling, palletizing, painting, robot calibration and more.
The demonstration was conducted by Mr. Siddhesh Tilekar, IndiaSoft Technologies Pvt Ltd. Since the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering is incorporating Robotics and Automation from the upcoming academic year, this programme intends to give the glimpse of the software to the faculty members. The demo session was organized by Dept. of Mechanical Engineering on 27th April 2022 from 10:30 am to 11:45 am on virtual mode.
Hands-on Session on “Robotic TIG & MIG Welding”
Department organized a Hands on training on the topic “ROBOTIC TIG AND MIG WELDING” FLARES Robotics and Automation students association, FLAMES Mechanical Engineering Students Association which was held between 01 Aug 2023 to 03 Aug 2023 for the second year Robotics & Automation and Mechanical Engineering students. Around 75 students participated. Prof. Adesh Padival was the resource person.
A short term training program on 'UI Path Robotic Process Automation'
Dept. of Electronics & Communication Engineering and the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, in association with ICT ACADEMY, organized a short-term training program on 'UI Path Robotic Process Automation’ from 23rd to 27th May, 2023. The STTP aims to provide valuable insights and training on the emerging field of Robotic Process Automation (RPA) to the teaching fraternity and researchers. The inaugural ceremony of the STTP was held on 23rd May witnessed the presence of distinguished dignitaries, including Dr. Rajesha S, Principal; Dr. Manjappa Sarathi, Director-R&D and Consultancy; Dr. Anush Bekal, HOD of the Dept. of Electronics & Communication Engineering, and Dr. Rathish Chandra Gatti, HOD of the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering.
Dr. Anush Bekal extended a warm welcome to all the guests and participants. Dr. Manjappa Sarathi addressed the gathering and shed light on the current trends and the significance of Robotic Process Automation in today's technological landscape. Dr. Rajesha S highlighted the pivotal role of RPA in various industries and its potential to revolutionize business processes. The guest keynote speaker for the event was Mr. Kumara Guru, Senior Technical Trainer from ICT ACADEMY, Tamil Nadu. Mr. Guru was accompanied by Mr. Vignesh Shetty, Relationship Manager from ICT ACADEMY, Mangaluru. Mr. Guru shared his expertise and provided valuable insights into the world of Robotic Process Automation. The STTP was coordinated by Prof. Lawrence J Fernandes and Prof. Pramod B.C from the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, and Prof. Chandra Singh and Prof. Mehnaz Fathima C from the Dept. of Electronics & Communication Engineering.
|1||Dr. Rathishchandra R Gatti||Ph.D.(Curtin Uni, Australia)||Professor, Head||Link|
|2||Dr. Rajesha S||Ph.D. (IIT-R)||Principal||Link|
|3||Mr. B.C Pramod||M. Tech||Asst. Prof., Program Co-Ordinator||Link|
|4||Ajith B S||M. Tech||Asst. Prof.||Link|
|5||Abhishek K||M. Tech||Asst. Prof.||Link|
|6||Yathisha K K||M. Tech||Asst. Prof.||Link|
|7||Gautham Nayak||M. Des||Asst. Prof.||Link|
Details of Patents Filed
|#||Patent Title||Application Number||Agency/Country||Status|
|1||Design of Bio Fermenter to Convert Bio-Mass to Ethanol.||202341045426||India||Filed on 06-07-2023|
|2||Portable Fish Trapping Equipment.||202341046014||India||Filed on 08-07-2023|
|3||Wall-Mounted Training Equipment||202341049482||India||Filed on 22-07-2023|
|4||Anti-Slip Clamp for Prevention of Vertically Climbing Plants Slipping from Cylindrical Support Structure.||202341050620||India||Filed on 27-07-2023|
|5||Unmanned Underwater Rover for Search, Rescue and Research Vehicle.||202341050622||India||Filed on 27-07-2023|
|6||Intelligent Plastic Speed Breaker for Roads.||202341050623||India||Filed on 27-07-2023|
|7||Peristaltic Robot Mechanism with Electromagnetic Segmentation for Biopsy Applications||202341050627||India||Filed on 27-07-2023|